Here are the latest dates and instructions from Leslie Sparks as to Hot Doc's for Spring 2013. Please pass on for those in the GTA and southern Ontario.
The 2013 site will go live late Tuesday morning.
For those in the Greater Toronto Area, or teachers who are thinking of bringing a class into Toronto for a film….here is the direct link to the Docs For Schools IN THEATRE screenings at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema.
The complete list of IN SCHOOL selections is posted here…
On both pages, there will be a link to a pdf that you can open, print and copy to easily share with your colleagues. The In School pdf will also offer a few ideas about creating a Docs For Schools festival in your school.
ONLINE BOOKING BEGINS ON THURSDAY MORNING, MARCH 21.
• Curriculum connections are posted with each film.
• As to age or grade appropriate content, we are leaving this up to you. We know that each teacher, each class of students, each community is different and if you feel your students are mature and the content is relevant, this will be your choice to make.
• There is considerable content available online about each film, including the new festival films. As preparation for your class viewing, it can be a worthwhile venture to spend a bit of time learning about the film.
• You can always call and we can discuss a film in greater detail. 416-203-2155 X253 – firstname.lastname@example.org
• If I have any concerns re the student ages and the film requested, I will also be in touch, just so there is no surprise with content.
• We will see how this goes without any formal guidelines this year.
Dates to Note:
• March 21: online booking begins
• Week of April 10: the education packages will be posted online for each film
• Week of April 15: if you have selected dvds for In School viewing they will be sent via courier to you
• April 25 – May 5: festival begins and In School screenings take place
• April 29 – May 3: there will be two Docs For Schools screening at the Bloor each day
• May 6: In School dvds are placed in Canada Post for return to Hot Docs
We do hope that you will enjoy the selection of films available to you this year. We have our Oscar winner in the IN SCHOOL mix with INOCENTE, and with the Bloor films there is considerable praise:
• Sundance 2013 Grand Jury Prize Winner
• Sundance 2013 Documentary Audience Winner
• Sundance 2013 World Cinema Documentary Special Jury Award
• SXSW 2013 Grand Jury Award Winner for Documentary Feature
Recognize that you can't always judge a film by its award, but we are pretty pleased to have these winning docs in the program this year.
…and as you know, we always try to have the filmmakers attend the student screenings at the Bloor. Well as I write, we will have all of the filmmakers in attendance to Q&A with the students….and even a few subjects! But the subjects will be kept a surprise even to you. And this is something that we hear more each year….the filmmakers love the Q&A's with the students. We even have a few staying a couple of extra days to take part this year. The Bloor screenings can be quite special for everyone.
So, enjoy the site on Tuesday. Listen to the news and check social media. Even before I worked at Hot Docs, it was a favourite day. Take your time to look at the selection and then hopefully you will be ready to select on Thursday.
Don't forget….Like Us on Facebook as will begin to post reviews, interviews and stories about the films and their subjects.
…and we have two Teacher Info Sessions happening….at the Bloor on Tuesday and in Corpus Christi CSS in Burlington on Wednesday. Lots of seats available in both.
As always, touch base if any questions.
Education & Youth Programs Manager
110 Spadina Avenue, Suite 333
Toronto, ON M5V 2K4
T: 416.203.2155 X253 | F: 416.203.0446 | E: email@example.com
Hot Docs, April 25 – May 5, 2013 – www.hotdocs.ca
Geography and Geotechnologies Instructional Leader
Social World Studies and Humanities
Toronto District School Board
1 Civic Centre Court
Toronto , On ,M9C 2B3
Tel; (416) 394-7269
Cell; (416) 576-4515
Fax; (416) 394-6420